Monday, November 10, 2008

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore?

I have had a nagging thought in my head for a while now. I think it may have resurfaced particularly loud for me prior to the release of the Dark Knight movie. I will go back and look at my review about the recent hardcover The Joker, as I don't recall what I may have said there.

I might hate the Joker. I really may not see whatever it is everyone else seems to see. I am greatly questioning my previous belief that The Killing Joke is a masterpiece. I don't think Batman would go to the Joker just to babble philosophically at him. I don't think Batman would laugh at the end at all.

I Hated the Tim Burton Batman movie BECAUSE of the Joker. Take away the Joker and there isn't even a scrap that could be salvaged.

I have liked the two most recent Bat-Movies a great deal. I think the tone is more like what I expect from Batman. The Joker in The Dark Knight, and the one in the Joker Graphic novel are ones that speak to me. They aren't the same guy, really, but they are both some pretty scary, compelling and real seeming Clown Princes of Crime. I will try to flesh this out more in the next week or so, but feel free to comment if you have any thoughts or comments relating to the Joker. If you'd prefer to email, that's great too - talkinboutcomics@gmail.com

No comments: