Saturday, October 4, 2008

Popgun Bullets: Popgun Volume Two - Part Four, The Fourth Hundred Pages.

Ok, I am going to try and tie up loose ends before I move on to the myriad other things I want to cover. I sit here now with Popgun v.2 at my side, ready to jump right back into my grand endeavor of reading and commenting on the entire freaking anthology. If you are just joining me, here are parts one , two and three.

  • Soulless, Man Without A Soul - DJ Kirkbride and Anjin Anhut. - The art is good, and the story is less of a story than a seeming intro to something else. It's good, but I don't see it as complete. It is a lot like the bit of a movie prior to the title coming up, or a trailer maybe. Good stuff, but I want more of it. I am not sure that I want an anthology filled with things that feel like ads for other things. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, just sayin'...
  • I can't say that I get 'In The Belly Of The Beast' by Jasen Lex. - I think the art is interesting, but not really my thing. It could grow on me if the writing meant something to me, which it doesn't.
  • Everybody's Hero - Erik Martinez and Ken Knudtsen - Art, or crap? I honestly am undecided on this. I sincerely either love the art in this, or I hate it. The strange part is that I don't know how to determine which it is. It is either very artistic or kind of lazy. I would probably benefit from seeing more of the artists work. There are parts that I am taken with, but otherwise I don't know.
  • Diamond Of Khadai - Lars Brown - I loved this. It is nicely drawn and colored, and there is a scene where the conflict is resolved by throwing kittens. The funniest part is how it seems to take place in the present, but the protagonists have armor and go on a quest. I enjoyed this a good bit.
  • Dream Time - Ralph Nieze - Pretty strange, but I mostly really like the art, until the very end. I like the parallell of the people from two different worlds dreaming of/longing for each other. Very short piece.
  • Lady In Space - Ancor Gil & Gisela Marraro - Very nice wordless piece. Boy meets girl encased in asteroid, Girl becomes giant monster. It's a love story. The art is great, and the story telling is solid.
  • The Story Of Evolution - Tim Hamilton - Nicely done and very funny wordless 3 page bit.
  • Boffo Yock's Joe's Jokebook - Funny and absurd.
  • Kill Audio, Time to Face The Music - Claudio Sanchez & Sheldon Vella - This didn't do much of anything for me. I don't get it, it doesn't click, or whatever. I don't really care for the art either.
  • Ogre And The Elves - Ryan O'Hara & Rod Laiz - 'I guess we ain't gonna learn a lesson 'bout life today' - This is a great piece start to finish. It's cute and funny and well done.
  • The Clockwork People - Yann Krehl & Christian Nauck - The art in this is very good. The character design is cool, as is the premise. I really like this story and would love to see more stuff in this setting with these characters. I haven't looked into it yet, but I plan to.
I am going to stop there. That puts us on page 407. If I don't get to the rest of it tonight, I will do it tomorrow so I can start going through all the goodies I got at SPX. We're in the home stretch now, only 11 more pieces and less than 70 pages to go.

No comments: