Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Make Your Own Happiness Day

Comic Book Day was a bust this week, or almost was as I posted previously. I had nothing in my box at my LCS so I did what I usually do and combed the shelves for some things I could pick up and still stay within twenty bucks and not have to go home sad. So here is what I did to make it a happier day.

I dropped two titles - Hulk and Skaar: Son of Hulk. I just am not really enjoying the Red Hulk thing. I don't have a lot of negatives to throw around, but So far it has just been a lot of Let's beat up all the tough guys with the new red Hulk. There may be more to it than this, but it isn't really playing my tune.

Skaar: Son of Hulk is actually pretty good. The writing is decent, the art is good, but it isn't really my cup of tea in the long run. If it goes on for a while, maybe I will catch up in trades later on, but for right now, I would rather free up a little room to try some other titles.

What other titles? Why Red 5 Comics' Neozoic for one. I was reading the new Atomic Robo... and saw in the back that back issues of Neozoic were still available, so I have asked for them. I guess I could have gone the trade route, assuming one will be out, but I like floppies too, so this will be fun. I also asked that they put me down for Ed Brubaker's upcoming Incognito mini that is starting in December under Marvel's Icons line.

Sadly, the new release shelves held nothing that I needed except for Previews, which I like, but doesn't fill my need for comics. I finally decided on the first issue of the new Vixen mini. I based this purchase on the love of Vixen I developed from her appearances in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon. I also liked the cover and was taken by some of the interior art. The art is a bit inconsistent, but I like it a lot. The artist is Cafu, and it sort of reminds me of Frank Quitely's art in All-Star Superman... almost. When it is good, it is great. There is a sequence where she is in a beautiful long blue dress fighting several men on motorcycles that I think is just beautiful and perfect. The writing isn't bad and I am anxious to see what issue two brings. I may not get the whole five issue series, but I will pick up the second one for certain.

The final piece of the equation to redeem the day is my purchase of Janes in Love, which I commented on earlier here. It's good stuff. If anyone has anything that made their comic book day better than mine I would love to hear it.

No comments: