Thursday, April 30, 2009

Comic Book Day (04/29/2009)

Ultimate Wolverine VS Hulk #5 was the only pull for me this week. I was happily able to pull a few other things together in addition to that, but there were a number of titles I thought I would pick up off the shelf, but I wasn't able to get to my LCS early enough to get them I guess. I sure wish I lived in a fantasy world where there was a comic shop that could remain viable and still have a huge variety on the wall.

Ultimate Wolverine VS Hulk #5 - I loved this issue. This comic is really loose. It's filled with humor and although it is telling a story that isn't really a comedy, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and isn't so smarmy as to annoy me. Scratch that, this is a comedy. I'm not sure what i was thinking a minute ago. Wolverine is a pop culture smorgasbord with Goonies and MacGuyver references. Yu's art continues to be terriffic, there is a lot of great stuff done with the page layouts, and even the giant panda looks great.

Dark Avengers #4 - One thing that's happening now as a result of this series, is that I am absolutely loving Moonstone now. She comes across really well in this. I like the contrast of characters in this. You really get a feel that each of the members has their own distinct motivation in what they are doing, and some of them are predictably dark, but others come across as genuinely heroic at least it seems that way to me.

Mysterius The Unfathomable #1 - I have a feeling this was ordered for me, and got shelved instead of being put in my box. Fortunately for me, no-one had snagged it. My LCS is good about getting what you ask for, but their system consists solely on index cards, and possibly in people's heads, so it isn't perfect. I already had issue #2, as I previously posted. Issue #1 is just as great as I assumed it would be. between this and Agents of Atlas, Parker just continues to wow me.

I also picked up Previews and Wizard. I know you are all too cool to read Wizard, but um... I'm the opposite of cool. They have a 100 best graphic novels of the wizard era... thing I agree with a bunch of it, and given the timeframe, I think I understand why certain books aren't included. My problem is that I don't recall when things came out. I will probably post about this stuff later in more detail.

No comments: