- p201 Super Tron - Sheldon Vella - This comic is crazy with color and style. There are places in it that I had to go back and re-read several times to figure out what was going on and exactly which character things were happening to. It's pretty fun though. It is also up to 60 screens on Zuda at the time of this writing. The interactions between the robots in this seem very pre-teen. Even after reading a lot more of it online, I am not fully sure what to make of it, but I've enjoyed it.
- p217 They Shoot Ponies, Don't They? - Mark Sable, Rob Guillory - The art is good, the story interesting. We get a tale recounted here by perhaps the smallest badass in the old west. It's a story about a town trying to keep itself cut off from the rest of the world in order to be 'normal'
- p224 Grow Seven Monsters Ad - Danny Hellman - This is a one page fake ad that lampoons comic book mail away ads, and suggests that the bitter recipients of the disappointing crap may grow up to be serial killers.
- p225 Tiger-Man: Mark of the Squid - Mike Bullock, Marcelo Di Chiara - This is a classic old school all ages Batman and Robin style superhero story. It is certainly well done for what it is, and as a bit of nostalgia for a time that maybe never was, it made me smile. Super Hero's young sidekick is kidnapped by odd villains and superhero goes and kicks some butt, all the while seeming heroic. This is by the same person who did Lions, Tigers & Bears, which is great, and in which Tiger-Man is a comic book hero. I highly recommend the two trades of that as good all ages fun, geared toward a younger set.
- p237 Cheeseburger-head - Erik Larsen - not a bad little bit about a guy who wakes up with a cheeseburger for a head, but it sort of feels like something that was pulled out of a drawer when asked if he had a contribution for the book.
- p243 Black Circle White: The Recycle Soul Project - Jonathan Hickman - The art is great, the layout cool and stylish. I don't get this at all. I mean... I do, I guess, but I have no real use for it.
- p248 A Man Named Wattson In A Head Among Skulls - Kris Anka - Speaking of things I don't need in an anthology... There are 3 FULL PAGES of ... NOT STORY here. Three. We have a cover, a title and a dedication page before we get to the first page, which also has a title on it. I am just not a fan of this piece.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Popgun Bullets: Popgun Volume One, part five - The next 50 pages
Part One Part Two Part Three Part Four