Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Back in the New York groove...

I will be in New York City for work next week. I will be out there late Sunday through the following Saturday. I may not have a single bit of time of my own, but if I did, are there any of those big fancy New York comic shops near where I will be? I will be staying right around Battery Park, and Working around the World Financial Center? not terribly far from there? If anyone that sees this happens to know that part of the city, let me know if there is any place close to it that is worth noting.

Thanks!!

Rob

5 comments:

John said...

I think there might be a small shop near the WTC, but the major NYC comic shops (that I go to, anyway) are as follows:

Midtown Comics main branch - 40th Street at 7th Avenue (use either Times Square or Port Authority subway stops.)

Jim Hanley's Universe - 33rd Street between Broadway and 5th Avenue (a block south of the Empire State Building, and not far from Marvel Headquarters!)

Forbidden Planet - 13th Street at Broadway (a block south of Union Square)

Midtown Comics second branch - Lexington Avenue at 45th street (near Grand Central Terminal.)

Good hunting!

Anonymous said...

Rocketship is another one that I've heard about a lot, but I'm not exactly sure where it's located. Worth Googling.

Anonymous said...

Rocketship is in Brooklyn, but I have friends who swear by it. You probably won't have time to make it out there, though.

http://rocketshipstore.blogspot.com/

Forbidden Planet is worth it.

If you have the time/inclination, Toy Tokyo is also a ton of fun:

http://www.toytokyo.com/

There's also always the Museum of Cartoon and Comic Art:

http://www.moccany.org/

Anonymous said...

I probably could've made each of those into actual links. Sorry.

Talkin Bout Comics said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I really will try to get to at least one shop while I am there. I am pretty sure that work will be a meat grinder, but hopefully I will get out of the office early enough one evening to do something fun.

Right now forbidden planet is at the top of the list!

@eden :) links are overrated.