Thursday, January 8, 2009

Forbidden Planet - NYC

I took the advice of my dear friends and readers and made an effort to get out to Forbidden Planet while I was stationed here in New York this week for work. It was fantastic. I don't think I have been in a store that made me this giddy in a long long time.

I have mentioned before that the excellent comic shop I go to is run fairly conservatively, which is a really smart thing for a comic shop in my area, as I have watched a lot of shops fold in the time I have lived there. I love the people there, and they will get anything I ask, but that requires that I ask. At Forbidden planet they just have a ton of stuff crammed into the space they have. They have a big new comics wall, and a lot of recent back issues, as well as shelves and shelves of trades and hardcovers and collections of all sorts.

I figured i should make use of what was available that I could not get at my LCS (in addition to one or two things I could have gotten if I were not spending the week in New York.)

Here is my list:

RASL 2 & 3 - I got the first issue and the next 2 never showed their face in my LCS.
Skyscrapers of the Midwest #3, 4 - I double checked, and apparently I still need #2. If I go back next week I will pick it up.
Young Liars #7 - 10 - As I wrote recently, I finished the trade that collects v1-6. I decided I should read more of it as soon as I can, and FPNY helped me by having these on the shelves.
Hexed #1 - It looked neat so I picked it up
Solomon Grundy Faces of Evil One Shot - I love the character, and now I realize I don't need the mini series that is coming.
Marvel SuperHero Squad #1
Neozoic #6 - I actually want them all, and will pick up the trade.
Maelstrom (Superman / Supergirl)1-4 - I saw good reviews of this on blogs I read, so i had to have them.

I also got a bunch of bribes for my girls that include a number of cute little statue-y and mystery box sorts of things.

It was really fun to go there. I wish I had something like that closer to my house. The staff was pretty decent as well

2 comments:

John said...

Solomon Grundy was a bit of a disappointment, mostly because the writing and art didn't seem to fit the character or the overall story. Personally, I blame editorial. It's always a shame when Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins' talents end up getting wasted. They should've abandoned the whole 'redemption' storyline and just done it in the style of the Rogue profiles!

Neozoic's getting a trade? Time to put in an order at my local comic shop.

Talkin Bout Comics said...

Neozoic is due for trade in March I believe. I am pretty sure it was in the most recent previews, but I could be wrong.

I've always kind of liked Grundy. I really liked the Grundy & HawkGirl stuff in the animated Justice League