Thursday, June 25, 2009

Detective Comics #854 - Rucka,Williams, & Stewart

I have been very anxiously awaiting this issue since I heard about it. I have been waiting almost rabidly since i first saw some of the artwork posted for it. I liked what we saw of Batwoman in 52. I have liked the character of Renee Montoya for as long as she has been used in things. Montoya as the Question has never sounded like my favorite thing, but I have to say that the 8 page 'second feature' also written by Rucka, but with art by Cully Hamner, is really good. The art is great, and despite my issues with the Question, whatever they may be, it looks to be a good ongoing read as well.

Greg Rucka, J.H. Williams, and Dave Stewart have done something pretty amazing in this first installment of Batwoman's run headlining Detective Comics. They have made a beautiful and stylish work of art that is a masterwork of layout and graphic storytelling that is every bit as well written as it is beautifully laid out, drawn and colored. The coloring and layout are like characters in their own right. I am genuinely excited by how good this comic is. I'm not doing a synopsis here, you can find those elsewhere, or better yet, buy the comic! 32 great pages for $3.99. Yes I think that is still too expensive, but you are unlikely to feel screwed after you read it.

I sure hope we get a good run at this level of quality. It certainly looks probable right now.

If you are the sort of person who likes smart well written pieces to validate what you read here, I am posting a link to the always insightful Joe McCulloch's blog, Jog the Blog, and his love letter to the craft exhibited in this issue

No comments: