Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural

Doctor Voodoo has always been a character that I thought was cool. I am sure I have always felt that way, but I am not sure that i ever really read anything with him in it when I formed that opinion as a kid. I was excited about this series when it started, and I am pretty sure I picked up the first issue. I don't think any subsequent issues actually made the shelf at my LCS and that was that. Fortunately for me it is available through Marvel Digital Unlimited and I got to read it recently. I wish that it was more than five issues, but it as a complete arc and has an awful lot going for it.

Rick Remender wrote the series, which involves a plot by Nightmare to undo reality, and Jefte Palo turns in an amazing job with the art. Combined with Stunning covers by Marko Djurdjevic, this comic has everything you could want. In addition to always thinking Brother Voodoo was a cool character, I absolutely LOVED Nightmare When I was a kid. The story pretty much turns into Jericho and Daniel Drumm vs. Possessed versions of everyone else in the Avengers, etc. We get good back story on the brothers, and a pretty fun main conflict. I wish I had subscribed to this title, and I wish it was still running. Even occasional mini's of it done with the same team would be welcomed.

No comments: