Thursday, January 14, 2010

2010: the year we get one good comic in two weeks

That's probably not entirely true. What is certainly true is that I have picked up one excellent comic so far this year.

In case it has been way too long since I last posted anything, which it has, I will fill you in on my pick for best single issue of 2010. I know this is a fair designation, as it is the only new issue I have picked up so far. My guess is that even if this issue doesn't stand up once other good comics come out, this series will continue to shine.

The Unwritten #9 - Mike Carey, Peter Gross - I continue to love this series. When I get to my LCS and see that all I have waiting for me after 3 or 4 weeks is a single issue and a Previews, I feel like I made out pretty well when the issue waiting for me is from this series.

In this issue Tom and Savoy survive a big attack at the prison, see the 'ghost' of Sir Roland, Save Lizzie and get to interact with Mingus, the winged cat a lot. The end is also pretty great and puts one of our hero's great adversaries more or less in the same place with him. It's well written and drawn, and continues to delight.

1 comment:

John said...

The only single I've picked up since 2010 began (other than that same issue of The Unwritten) is the latest R.E.B.E.L.S. It wasn't bad, but most of it was dedicated to disentangling itself from Blackest Night and returning to the Starro plot. That said, there were some good Vril Dox character bits in there (as always) that helped to justify the price.

Here's hoping we won't have to wait too long for Gail Simone's Birds of Prey relaunch!