Thursday, August 21, 2008

Comic Book Day (08/20/08)

Comic Book Day, as I am sure all of you know, is a weekly holiday much like Christmas. Every week, usually right around Wednesday the faithful gather in comic shops all over the country to collect their presents in return for cash... or credit. Here's what I got this week. What did you get? hmmm? Anything good? Anything Awful?

NinjaTown - The adventures of Wee Ninja Volume 1: $6.50 Devils Due Publishing, Art and Stories by Art Baltazar and Franco Aureliani, and others. This is a 48 page dialog free collection of stories featuring characters from the Shawn Smith NinjaTown collection of plushies. I have been on an Art Baltazar kick lately, which is why I picked this up. The stories are cute and accessible. My daughters were as excited about picking it up as I was. There's a pogo stick race, giant waffles and ninja chickens... What's not to like, right? I thought it was mostly just ok with some splashes of awesome in it. I am happy that I bought it, but wasn't exactly floored by it. I have been enjoying Tiny Titans a lot, and dialog free comics such as Owly and Corgi too. I would probably pick it up again without hesitation on a day when I'm not maxed out with other stuff.

Inredible Hercules #120: $2.99 Marvel, Written by Pak and Van Lente, Pencils by Rafa Sandoval. Ahh Secret Invasion... I will never love you the way you want me too. I have really enjoyed Incredible Hercules up to this point. This issue was no exception. Of all the Secret Invasion stuff that I am not interrested in, I really like the God Squad angle in Hercules. It has successfully pulled off being fun and interesting without my having to read any of the rest of the sprawling ugly mess (I am not really a fan of mega crossover events in general. The good news is that it IS possible to have enjoyable arcs inside of those things that don't require you to buy every issue published. If you haven't picked up any of this series, you can still find most of the issues since it started on the shelf if you want them. It's good, fun, buddy comics.

Amazing Spider-Man #568: $3.99 Marvel, Written by Dan Slott, Pencils by John Romita Jr. I am in the camp that thinks that the whole Brand New Day thing was stupid and unnecessary. That doesn't change the fact that for the most part I am really enjoying the series these days. We are seeing new characters and some different situations, it isn't too broody, etc. This Issue is the start of another story arc, and we get some more of the Menace, some Thunderbolts, and an Eddie Brock story. There was a brief moment early on when I thought i would drop this title, but I like the 3 times a month schedule, and it has been pretty solid overall.

DC Special: Cyborg #4: $2.99 DC, Written by Mark Sable, Pencils by Carlos Magno. I used to be a big Teen Titans fan. Way back when New Teen Titans first came out it was my favorite title. Teen Titans/ Titans lost my interest a while back, but the fun as heck Teen Titans cartoon, and the overwhelmingly adorable Tiny Titans (and the year one stuff as well) worked to renew my interest enough that when the Raven mini series came out with it's stylish and breathtaking art, I picked it up. I enjoyed that as much for the art as anything else. Because I was pulling Raven, my lcs pulled Cyborg for me as well and I didn't make them cancel it. I need to make them cancel it now. It's an ugly book and simply has nothing in it that holds my interest.

Young X-Men #5: $2.99 Marvel, Written by Marc Guggenheim, Pencils by Yanick Paquette. I am enjoying Young X-Men. I like the characters that are in it and had mostly enjoyed the Academy X / New X-Men titles. I was glad they were carrying on in one form or another. This issue is pretty good, and conveys some emotion in it in an effective way. It also continues to answer a few of the questions that had been laid in front of us. I will continue picking this up for as long as it delivers on it's promise of giving us a sort of young fresh take on the X-Men like New Mutants did for a while and the other titles I mentioned as well.

Previews - I love previews. I like being able to keep up on the things that are coming out. If I didn't have previews I wouldn't get that sinking feeling of having forgotten to tell my LCS all the stuff I wanted from the latest Previews before it was too late that I like so well. I know I like it, as I am constantly experiencing it.

I may post a recap of what I find noteworthy in previews, or I may just move on to writing up Blindspot and Strangers In Paradise Pocket Book 1.

No comments: